we could escape to the great sunshine


Oh hello! I am back on US soil after an amazing two weeks in South America. It was an incredible trip and this is Part 1 of my highlights from Rio de Janeiro. True to form, I entered the city with a bang. As in, literally my cab driver on the way in rear ended someone (we were fine). The moment I put my bags down the man whose apartment I rented invited me to his friend's house where they would be hanging out and playing music. After 24 hours+ of travel and within 15 minutes of arrival, I found myself in an apartment with 10 Brazilians (who mostly didn't speak English) sitting, drinking, laughing, and playing all different kinds of instruments. Some of the music they were just winging it, some were Brazilian songs, and some U2 so I could even sing along sometimes. It was so surreal and a real highlight of my life. And so my trip began....



In my apartment in Ipanema about to head to the beach. Wearing my Furla candy satchel, Sam Edelman sandals, Karen Walker sunglasses, and vintage cover up. Went for muted colors so I could blend in clearly.



Aftermath 



On the walk from Aparador to Copacabana. The fact walking almost everywhere is possible in the absence of time constraints is one of my very favorite parts of being on vacation. 


The Copacabana Palace hotel is that perfect combination of old world charm and modern luxury. I ate lunch poolside then indulged in one of the best massages I've ever had at their spa.  


I saw Jesus. He lived up to all the hype. 


After a few days in Ipanema, I switched to the beachfront Sheraton Leblon and was greeted with this view from my room. I definitely jumped up and down with a squeal (I can't believe I'm admitting this right now). 


At the hotel's beach in a Maje dress & Stella McCartney sunglasses. In other words, American girl in Brazil wearing French dress & English sunglasses.  I <3 globalization.="">


At night


I went out in the popular Lapa area, which was totally incredible. It's blocks and blocks of buildings like the above that have been turned into bars and clubs with hoards of both locals and tourists. It reminded me of a combination between Disneyland on Halloween and New Orleans' Bourbon street. There are street vendors that mix vodka with freshly squeezed juice (passionfruit, please) and you're allowed to walk around freely with drinks in hand. Here I am chugging my drink as we are leaving a bar when I realize my new friend is grabbing us to-go cups just as I've finished. Oh..woops. That took some getting used to. You can also bring drinks in cabs which caused me more confusion. We had one of those great cultural exchanges where I taught him some new English words like "drunk in public" and "open container law." He found this hilarious while I realized I was basically breaking a US law at every turn. I loved it. 

Much more to come!

Comments

  1. That looks like such an amazing time and your outfits are literally vacation-perfection. I would love to do something like this but will probably always be too scared to go alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, you look gorgeous and your vacation looks AMAZING. I'm so jealous!
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

tell me something interesting

Popular Posts