weekend recap

Saturday my boyfriend and I had tickets to SF Chefs Food & Wine and it was amazing. Upon arrival you are immediately handed a wine glass so you can go around tasting all the wine from a ton of different CA wineries. There was literally wine everywhere you turned which is ideal when wine tasting. The tasting tent in Union SquareInside They also had a cocktail area with all kinds of amazing specialty cocktails. My favorite was the Celery Cup #1 cocktail that Square One Vodka made...definitely am interested in picking up a bottle of their cucumber infused vodka. N did some whiskey and vodka tasting but I stuck with testing all the cocktails. Almost every nice restaurant in San Francisco had a booth there with tasters. There was lots of heirloom tomato gazpacho. Here is a pic with me and Ryan Scott from Top Chef. I also saw Jamie and 1/2 of the lesbian couple from Top Chef. Toward the end they started giving away free bread and you know you should probably go home when you think putting a baguette in your pocket is a great idea.... But our ticket included two free seminars and I had chosen "Sara Moulten Seafood" since she's on Food Network (Sara's Secrets) for our afternoon sesh. I was sooo excited! I was even more excited when she picked me to be her helper!!! It really is only once in a lifetime you get to help a Food Network and Gourmet magazine chef cook. I was dying of excitement. My job was to tell her exact measurements of ingredients in the recipe so she didn't have to look it up....which turned out not be the easiest task given my antics all day. The person chosen as a volunteer before me had to skin a fish though so I was actually lucky. So she is making fish and asking me how much of this or that ingredient she needs and so far I'm fine. Then things take a turn for the worst when she forgot to salt and pepper the fish before putting it in the pan and one of her crew members reminded her instead of me so she joked "Heather, you may be fired." Obviously the crowd bursts into laughter but I was determined not to let this derail me! I would not screw this up! I memorized the second recipe and didn't miss a beat. She almost forgot to salt some shrimp but I yelled "1/4 tablespoon salt!!!" and saved the day. The crowd was loving it. So I walked away from sf chefs victorious...it was definitely one of my best days in the city yet!

Comments

Popular Posts