style edit: prized possessions

Top: Brandy Melville, Skirt: vintage Dior (in black here), Shoes: Givenchy (similar here), Sunglasses: Ray Ban, Bag: Mansur Gavriel, Bracelet: CC Skye (similar here at 60% off)

I've been hoarding a handful of clothes over the last 10 years that belonged to my late mother and I've only recently started altering them a size or two down to wear them (you may remember this post where I shared her Sonia Rykiel coat I recently altered). She had exquisite taste and beautiful things to match, most of which she picked up in Europe after attending Cannes each year. This was a time before online shopping so her wardrobe always seemed special. Getting her clothes altered has been one of those annoying things hanging over my head that I've always wanted to get around to doing, but never seemed to actually do. In a way, my life hadn't caught up to the clothes, but I turn 30 this week and they finally feel like "me." I take that as a great sign. I also recently found a killer tailor (Meifei) whereas previously I would leave shops with the garments untouched fearful they'd ruin my prized possessions.

This Dior silk taffeta pencil skirt recently went under knife and emerged this weekend for a glass of wine in the sunshine outside La Folie. It's one of the best French restaurants in the city, but they have a great lounge for drinks with just a few mismatched tables lining the sidewalk outside. It brought me right back Paris so it felt like the right moment to wear it. 

Hope your weekend was beautiful. I also hope that if you have some loved pieces collecting dust awaiting a trip to the tailor that you'll be inspired to put it at the top of your to do list so you can start enjoying them. You won't regret it! 



Comments

  1. great outfit and what a lucky piece to have passed down to you.

    -Andréa

    A.Viza Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you finally altered it. It's lovely, and a perfect pastel blue for spring.

    Shae @ Current Habits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love it that you have your mother's special pieces to cherish --- and that you've grown into them, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's definitely a nice skirt! I feel like I should alter a few things but am always too lazy. We'll see if this gives me the push to do it now.

    -M
    www.violetroots.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

tell me something interesting

Popular Posts