one hit wonder

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
In keeping with the brunch theme this week, I give you my fam's Eggs Portugal. My dad would make this every Christmas morning so you know it's idiot proof considering his culinary abilities begin and end with speed dialing Dominos (even after that video). It's a great brunch dish anytime, especially for Father's Day coming up! The prep work is basically all done the night before so you can relax in the morning. This recipe is also from  70's and I don't see why clothes should be the only thing revived. Okay, I'll stop now. Take a looksy yourself (my color commentary (literally) in red):

Eggs Portugal
Serves 14-18 or half the recipe
16 slices of white bread with out crust
10 eggs
2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (grate your own it is better)
2 cans sliced mushrooms (could not stomach this so I used fresh)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (lo so)
1 1/2 tablespoons mustard
3 lbs sausage (two packs Jennie O extra lean spicy sausage, I figured there is enough fat)
5 cups of milk (2%)
1/2 cup dry vermouth (I don't know why either)

-Cut casing off of sausage, crumble, and brown 
-Meanwhile, cube bread and place in two 9x13 baking dishes (use only one baking dish if halfing the recipe obviously) along with the grated cheese and sausage
-Mix together milk, eggs, mustard, and a dash salt then pour into the dish, cover, and refrigerate over night
-The next morning, mix together the soup, cooked or canned mushrooms, and vermouth and pour into the casserole
-Ovens can vary but 1 hour at 350 + 10 more minutes at 400 did the trick
Why aren't more fruit salads tiered? Why is it only parfaits are? This ends here and now. I've actually already told you to do a build your own mimosa bar so these should really be neatly diced in individual bowls waiting to soak up champagne. 

This whole brunch cost me under $60 and fed 18 people so a very economical spread with out looking like it indeed.  You better tell me if you make it! Have a good weekend.

Comments

  1. Mmmmm. This sounds delicious. And I so agree with you about fruit salad; I think the tiers are so pretty.
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohh that fruit salad looks so fresh and terrific! yum. <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

tell me something interesting

Popular Posts