hot summer NY nights

My friend S and I went to a late dinner at Cafe Habana in Nolita. This was a recommendation from his roomate who is a native New Yorker and dubbed this one of his top ten favorite restaurants so I was really excited to try it! There was a 30 minute wait when we got there at 10pm on a Sunday if you can believe that so we snuck around the corner for a cocktail at Public. It had a 1920's kickback kind of atmosphere and inventive cocktails-mine was some sort of chili spiced guava margarita and was the perfect drink for the hot summer night.Cafe Habana doesn't look like much from the oustide and inside it actually looks like a 50's diner (not what you would expect a restaurant that serves cuban food to look like) but it has a cool vibe and is so good.To start off S and I decided to try something different- a Corona that you pour into a glass filled with salsa and lime. It was definitely interesting, not sure if I would get it again, but I'm glad I tried it. Love that it was in a milkshake glass. For our appetizer we ordered what their famous for-their corn on the cob with chile powder and cojita cheese. I think every restaurant should have one thing on their menu that everyone "has" to try. It was so delicious-so simple but at the same time different than anything I've tried before.For entrees, we got steak enchiladas and they were great. The rice and beans were good too. I liken Mexican (or in this case Cuban) restaurants having good beans and rice to breakfast restaurants having good potatoes-it's a must.

Comments

Popular Posts